Denim shorts are a wardrobe staple that never seem to go out of style. Come spring and summer, many of us dust off our cutoff shorts or Daisy Dukes for the sunny days ahead. However, embroidered denim shorts offer an effortlessly elevated take on the classic denim short that can dress up your warm weather looks. If you love statement shorts, then you need to get your hands on the latest embroidered denim options.
From dainty florals to bold designs, embroidery adds eye-catching detail and visual interest to basic denim shorts. The textured decorative stitching gives them a luxe, craft-like vibe along with a uniqueness that makes embroidered shorts stand out. Though jeans shorts are casual by nature, embroidery transforms them into an on-trend short that feels fashion-forward.
In this blog, we’ll guide you through everything you need to know about the It denim short of the moment. We’ll cover the top 5 embroidered denim shorts that should be on your radar along with tips for how to choose the right embroidered shorts for you. We’ll also answer some frequently asked questions to help you become an embroidery denim pro. So grab those short shorts and let’s get started!
Top 5 Embroidered Denim Shorts You Need
From washed out vintage pairs adorned with flowers to rigid cutoffs decorated with bold motifs, there are countless embroidered denim shorts to choose from. Here are the top 5 pairs we’re loving right now that you need in your closet:
1. Classic High-Waisted Shorts with Floral Embroidery
What’s more feminine than florals? This style of embroidered short combines both timeless and on-trend elements. The classic high-waisted silhouette and light wash denim have that retro appeal while the pretty embroidered flowers feel fresh and current. The floral motifs are often detailed, covering much of the short with colorful blossoms and vine designs. These shorts have a romantic, vintage vibe perfect for everything from picnic dates to summer strolls.
2. Distressed Embroidered Denim Cutoffs
For the trendsetters and style rebels, you can’t go wrong with a pair of embroidered denim cutoffs. This style takes the iconic cutoff short and adds visual contrast with intricate embroidery designs that pop against the distressed denim. Eclectic patterns, geometric shapes, and even phrases can be found on this edgy short. The frayed hems and loose, low slung fit means these are all about keeping cool on scorching days. You’ll wear them everywhere from the beach to backyard BBQs.
3. Dark Wash Denim Shorts with Vibrant Embroidery
Why choose between dark denim and eye-catching embroidery when you can have both? The rich indigo wash pairs gorgeously with vibrant colors and designs for shorts that radiate confidence. The darker wash provides the perfect canvas for embroidered motifs in colors like bright red, pink, turquoise, and more. The saturated hues make the details pop even more. These shorts make a sartorial statement when worn and are ideal for nights out, festivals, or anytime you want to turn heads!
4. Medium Wash Denim Shorts with Minimalist Embroidery
For a more pared back embroidered short, you can’t go wrong with a pair sporting minimalist motifs. Here, the embroidery imparts subtle visual interest instead of over-the-top embellishment. Pick a pair with a medium stonewashed finish for a dose of vintage attitude. Then, embrace delicate embroidery in similar washes or slightly contrasting shades. Tiny flowers, abstract shapes, and single letters or words offer just a touch of texture. These shorts pair effortlessly with countless tops for a go-to weekend look.
5. High-Waisted Embroidered Bermuda Shorts
Bermuda shorts are already having a moment, and embroidered versions put this comeback silhouette over the top. The longer length provides more coverage while still allowing you to flaunt some leg. Sitting high on the waist, embroidered Bermuda shorts cinch you in while dainty or bold designs adorn the legs. The longer length also provides more real estate for showing off gorgeous motifs. Dress up your Bermuda shorts or wear them casually—either way, they’re a slam dunk.
Now that your radar is tuned to the top embroidered denim shorts around, let’s go over some tips for choosing the perfect pair for you.
How to Choose the Best Embroidered Denim Shorts
With so many varieties of embroidered shorts out there, it can be tricky determining which ones are best for your style and body type. Use these tips to pick out your perfect pair:
Consider your body type. High-waisted shorts tend to be most flattering for many body types, cinching the waist in and elongating the legs. Curvier figures may want to opt for a loose, distressed cutoff style. Taller folks can take advantage of longer Bermuda short lengths. Make sure to choose silhouettes and fits that enhance your shape.
Pick an embroidered design you love. Maybe you adore flowers or are obsessed with butterflies. Perhaps geometric embroidery gives you life or a phrase speaks to you. The great thing about embroidery is you can find shorts embellished with every design imaginable. Go with motifs that reflect your vibe.
Choose a wash. Do you love the worn-in look of light wash denim or prefer the crisp brightness of white? Are you daring enough for bold neon embroidery against jet black denim? The wash of the shorts impacts the overall look, so select one that pairs well with the embroidery colors.
Make sure the fit is right. Embroidered denim shorts should fit comfortably—not too tight in the hips and thighs but not baggy either. Make sure to try them on and walk around to ensure you can move in them. Also consider if you’ll need a little stretch in the waistband.
Complement the embroidery. Simple tops in solid colors or minimal prints allow the embroidered details to take center stage. You could also coordinate with similar colors and patterns. Just take the embroidery into account when styling.
Accessories complete the look. Add the final flourishes with accessories like embellished belts, woven sandals, stacks of bracelets, or retro shades. Don’t compete too much with busy embroidery though. Hats and scarves also accentuate your new shorts.
Now that you’re armed with our top embroidered denim picks and tips for choosing your perfect pair, here are answers to some frequently asked questions:
FAQs About Embroidered Denim Shorts
How can I incorporate embroidered shorts into my wardrobe?
- For casual daytime wear, pair embroidered denim shorts with tanks, t-shirts, cropped blouses, or billowy off-the-shoulder tops.
- Trade tanks and tees for nicer silk camis, wrap blouses, or bodysuits to dress up embroidered shorts for going out at night.
- Mix up textures by topping shorts with embroidered kimonos, crochet sweaters, or worn-in jean jackets.
- Slip on some wedges or strappy heels with your nicer embroidered shorts for weekends out.
How do I care for embroidered denim shorts?
- Avoid frequent washing, and when you do wash, use a gentle cycle on cold and air dry.
- Wash dry clean only embroidered shorts very infrequently and according to care label instructions.
- Spot clean any stains as needed immediately to avoid setting them. Use a clean damp cloth.
- Store embroidered shorts folded in your drawer away from direct sunlight to prevent fading.
What tops pair well with embroidered denim shorts?
- Simple and neutral fitted tanks or tees in solid colors or minimal patterns allow the embroidery to shine.
- Cropped blouses expose just a sliver of midriff to balance the shorts’ exposure.
- Floral printed off-the-shoulder tops or boho peasant blouses coordinate with floral embroidered shorts.
How can I style embroidered denim shorts for fall or winter?
- Add opaque black tights and ankle boots or tall riding boots to give embroidered shorts more seasonal versatility.
- Layer under midi dresses, tunics or longline cardigans and finish the look with booties.
- Transition to black denim shorts with metallic embroidery, which feels more wintry.
Can I dress up embroidered denim shorts?
- Definitely! Pair with a silky cami, strappy heels, and simple jewelry for nights out.
- A fitted blazer on top with booties also looks more polished and put-together.
- For daytime dressy events, consider a lace top, woven wedges, and crossbody bag.
Embroidered denim shorts are the perfect piece to add eye-catching style to your warm weather wardrobe. With so many designs and washes to choose from, you’re sure to find a pair or two that speaks to your personal style. Follow our tips to pick shorts that complement your body and showcase your unique flair.
How will you style your embroidered denim shorts this season? Share your outfit ideas and favorite looks with us below!